Re: st: to use 'fe' and 'cl' options

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: to use 'fe' and 'cl' options
Date   Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:28:34 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 22/12/10, S. Lindelauf wrote:
> I am trying to estimate the regression below:
> xi: xtivreg  y F.x1 x2 x3  L.x4  i.year if
> year > 1978, fe cl(id)
> but it is impossible to use 'fe' and 'cl' together.
> Even I found in the help manuel the statement like this:
> vce(cluster id) and use it, I got ''vcetype 'cluster' not
> allowed'' error message.
> How can I use both 'fe' anc cl together?

You can't while using -xtivreg-. Others are better able to
comment about alternatives.

The helpfile is a bit complex and a bit terse. The way to
read the helpfile in this case is as follows:

o -cluster()- has been replaced by -vce()-, so you need to
  look for the description of the option -vce()-.
o The options are grouped by random effects/between effects/
  fixed effects, so you need to look at the options described
  under the heading fixed effects.
o At the -vce()- under the fixed effects heading it says:
  "vcetype may be conventional, bootstrap, or jackknife".
  This means all other types, including -cluster- are not

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen