st: tobit and margeff and nlcom

From   Richard Ochmann <>
Subject   st: tobit and margeff and nlcom
Date   Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:46:00 +0100

dear listers,

I want to use -nlcom- on a nonlinear combination of marginal effects
computed for a tobit regression.
I understand that -margeff, replace- (ssc des margeff) is supposed to
handle that.
However, to me it seems that -margeff- spits out the coefficients rather
than compute marginal effects on the "expected value of dependent variable
conditional on the dependent variable being observed", as the help

Any ideas?

sysuse auto;
gen weight2 = weight*foreign;
tobit weight2 price rep78 headroom trunk, ll(0);
margeff, at(mean) model(tobit) replace;
tobit weight2 price rep78 headroom trunk, ll(0);
 // I would rather expect -margeff- to report:
mfx compute, predict(e(0,.));

. di "Stata `c(stata_version)', born `c(born_date)', on `c(os)' machine"
Stata 10.1, born 18 Aug 2009, on Windows machine

. which margeff
*! Obtain partial effects after estimation
*! Version 2.2.0  (20 August 2009)    (Revision of Stata Journal
*! Author:        Tamas Bartus        (Corvinus University, Budapest)