st: Stata Temp File issue

From   "John C. Vernaleo" <[email protected]>
To   StataList <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stata Temp File issue
Date   Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:48:48 -0500

Hi.

I'm running:
Stata/MP 9.2 for Windows
Born 20 Jul 2007

on some Windows XP 32 bit machines and some Windows 7 64bit machines.  I
realize my Stata version is rather old so I will understand if the only
answer I get is 'upgrade', but I wanted to try anyway.

Basically, I run a large number of Stata jobs over night.  On the Windows
XP machines I run at most 2 stata jobs at a time.  On the Windows 7
machines I run up to 4 at a time.

On the Windows 7 machines, I frequently find that Stata will crash with
errors related to either not being able to find a temp file or not being
able to access or write to the temp file.  If I look in the logs from the
concurrent processes, there will be one that has the same temp file name
(which does explain the error).

I have cleared out the directory where Stata leaves temp files (as there
were some orphaned Stata temp files there) but that seems to have no
impact.

The way I understood it, I thought the first two characters in a Stata
temp file (the XX in ST_XXyyyyyy.tmp) indicated the instance of Stata that
was running which would make such overlap impossible.  Am I
missunderstanding something?  Did things work differently back in Stata9?
And more importantly, is there way to avoid this (assuming I am even
understanding the situation properly)?

Sorry for such a long writeup.  Thanks for reading.
John

John C. Vernaleo, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Ada Investment Management
152 West 57th Street, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10019

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be, nor should it be construed or used as, financial, legal, tax or investment advice or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy, an interest in any fund advised by Ada Investment Management LP, the Investment advisor.  Any offer or solicitation of an investment in any of the Funds may be made only by delivery of such Funds confidential offering materials to authorized prospective investors.  An investment in any of the Funds is not suitable for all investors.  No representation is made that the Funds will or are likely to achieve their objectives, or that any investor will or is likely to achieve results comparable to those shown, or will make any profit at all or will be able to avoid incurring substantial losses.  Performance results are net of applicable fees, are unaudited and reflect reinvestment of income and profits.  Past performance is no guarantee of future results. All f!
inancial data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.

Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Ada Investment Management LP and its affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.