Re: st: RE: reliability with ordinal data-Kendall's w?

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: reliability with ordinal data-Kendall's w?
Date   Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:51:09 +0000

On 13 Dec 2010, at 20:12, Nick Cox wrote:

> I can't see much point to plots of the form re-invented by Bland and Altman in this case. Nor does the limits of agreement approach transfer other than queasily to a 4-point graded scale. -tabplot- from SSC offers one of various graphical alternatives. Diagonal agreement and off-diagonal disagreement will be pretty clear.

A scatterplot with a large jitter can also be interesting, especially were there are more than two raters.

As a matter of historical trivia, Bland and Altman didn't claim to have invented the plot, nor did they give it a name in their original paper. The paper, however, became a citation classic (I believe it is the most cited paper the Lancet ever published) and more or less single-handedly eradicated inappropriate analysis of agreement data in biomedicine, something for which we should all be grateful as we get older.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland