RE: st: getting realitve risk from proportional odds ratio

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: getting realitve risk from proportional odds ratio
Date   Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:47:22 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 8/12/10, Bontempo, Daniel E wrote:
> I am intrigued by the mlogit suggestion. Would I lose the
> ordered nature of my dv? The levels are not nominal, but
> increasing. Could I use the constraint option to specify the
> order?

With -mlogit- you ignore the information you have about the
ordering of the categories. I do not see a way of using
constraints to reintroduce that information and still be able
to transform the odds ratios(*) to risk ratios.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

(*) StataCorp calls them relative risk ratios, RRR, but IMHO an
odds is just another word for relative risk. The difference is
that StataCorp reserves the word odds for situation with two
mutually exclusive categories, while in my discipline this is
not a requirement. This is an old discussion, see for example:
<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-02/msg00085.html>

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis