st: RE: dprobit command

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: dprobit command
Date   Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:07:33 +0000

I don't speak for StataCorp, but the implication seems very clear:

1. Using -margins- after appropriate estimation commands is now the preferred way to get marginal effects.

2. Thus, idiosyncratic commands in that territory are downgraded in this way. StataCorp don't want to break your habits or your do-files or your programs, but it's sending a clear signal that -dprobit- is on its way out (and perhaps may disappear in some future version of Stata). (The latter is a statement of principle. In practice, it is likely to linger but asymptotically approach invisibility.)

Scott N. Bronson

The Stata help for dprobit indicates that it "continues to work but, as of Stata 11, is no longer an official part of Stata.  This is the original help file, which we will no longer update, so some links may no longer work."  Does anyone know why dprobit is "no longer an official part of Stata?"  Is there another command or are there other commands that have replaced dprobit?  I have been unable to locate any information about my question elsewhere.