re: st: .ado and .plugin

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: .ado and .plugin
Date   Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:53:25 -0500

<>
Cecilia wrote

"I write some new program in .ado and .plugin files."

plugin, in Stata language, is a technical term referring to some code in the C language that has been compiled and linked with appropriate C libraries on your machine. Unless you are a crackerjack C programmer, I would not try to write anything in this fashion. Stata ado-file code, possibly with Mata functions, is likely to provide you with everything you need.

Others have suggested that you examine your -adopath- and ensure that any ado-files you write are located on the adopath. They should be in the directory defined by PERSONAL, not the directories BASE nor UPDATES. If they are in PERSONAL, and are not occluded by ado-files of the same name elsewhere, you should be able to say -which foo- to locate foo.ado, or -viewsource foo.ado- to examine it.

Kit

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin   |   http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
An Introduction to Stata Programming   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html