Re: st: replacing with mean

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: replacing with mean
Date   Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:36:23 -0800

Dear Fabio

  Will this do the trick?

egen missrev = mean(revenues), by(industry)
replace revenues = missrev if missing(revenues)

Best regards,

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html
Stata tidbit of the week         - http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-12-01 10.31 PM, Fabio Zona wrote:
Hi,

I have a set of industries, with a different number of firms in each industry; per each firm I have a value, say it be Revenues

Industry         Firm         Revenues
A                  1            100
A                  2            150
A                  3          missing1
A                  4            120
B                  5             80
B                  6            130
B                  7          missing2
..

I need to replace the missing value of Revenues with the mean of the Revenues within the same industries (For example, missing1 for firm 3, needs to be replaced with the mean of the values 100, 150, 120, that is, with the mean of the revenues of other firms 1, 2 and 4 which belong to the same industry to which firm 3 belongs).
I need to do this hundreds of time.
How can I do it easily?