st: Announcing SASdecoder

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Announcing SASdecoder
Date   Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:54:23 -0500

Announcing SASdecoder.

I am pleased to announce the release of SASdecoder -- a tool that may be useful to Stata users as well as others working in data analysis and management. SASdecoder translates specific types of SAS code to facilitate the reading of raw data. It writes output as Stata dictionaries, Stata do-files, or Stat/Transfer schema files. It accepts three forms of input: Column, Formatted, and List. Also translates PROC FORMAT with VALUE statements into value label definitions.

This is useful when you are given raw data and SAS code to read it, but you don't use SAS.

This has been under development for a long time, and is now available as a commercial product.

SASdecoder runs in Windows. Users of other systems can run it on a Windows machine, and copy the output to any system that hosts Stata or Stat/Transfer.

To give you an idea of its capability, you can obtain a free copy that runs in demo mode (with limited functionality). You can also download the User Manual.

SASdecoder can be obtained from either
 www.circlesys.com/stattransfer/sasdecoder.html
(Or www.circlesys.com -- then point to StatTransfer, click "SASdecoder Add-on" from the pull-down.)
or
 www.essistant-software.com

You can also find out more about it at those sites.

I am grateful to the many people in the Stata community who have tried it in its earlier forms (under the name Sasst) and made helpful suggestions. Special thanks go to Steve Dubnoff of Circle Systems, for patiently guiding me in taking this project from an idea to a real product.

If you have any questions about this, please see the Websites listed above, or write to me directly at [email protected]

Thanks
--David