Re: st: Weights in Multi-Level Models

Subject   Re: st: Weights in Multi-Level Models
Date   Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:46:21 -0400

If producing a representative sample of the communities was not an
object of sampling to begin with, you will likely get a disbalanced
sample of these, at best; it will probably be representative, but this
would be a rather ugly sample.

You can supply either level-1 or level-2 or both level-1 and level-2
weights to -gllamm-. (You would have to supply both with -weight()-
option, but you can set one or the other to 1 if needed.)

Depending on how exactly the ethnic minority was oversampled, you may
or may not need the community level weights. If you sampled every 5h
ethnic community and every 20th majority community, and equal
proportion of people in both types, you need the community weights. If
you sampled communities at the same rate, but then sampled at a higher
rate within the ethnic ones compared to the majority ones, then you
only need the individual weights (and you will have very few degrees
of freedom/low accuracy on the estimates of the ethnic community
variables).