Re: st: using /// with parmby

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: using /// with parmby
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:56:08 +0100 (BST)

--- On Wed, 27/10/10, Jamie Fagg wrote:
> The following command works fine.
> parmby "<long command>", by(qinc) ...
> However, it's rather long. I'd like to break it over one or
> maybe two lines. I tried this:
> parmby "xi: mlogit walkcat <snip>  i.urbrur ///

The problem is that you tried to break the command inside a
string. Stata sees parmby, than a " and than it thinks `lets
wait till I see another " as everything between them belongs
together in one string', that way it misses the ///, which
is the cause of your problem.

If I want to break up a command with such a long string I
usually change the delimiter to ; by specifying the #delim

#delim ;
<my command with long string
split out over multiple lines> ;
#delim cr