st: using /// with parmby

From   Jamie Fagg <>
Subject   st: using /// with parmby
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:06:50 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I'm using Stata/SE 10.1 for Windows. Born 10 Jun 2010. All files are up to date.

My query is about -parmby- (

The following command works fine.

parmby "xi: mlogit walkcat i.tertsoccoh*age  i.schrpV1  i.urbrur
if tousewalkcat0407V1,rrr vce(cluster pseudo) base(0)", by(qinc)
saving(Graph4/GSSocCapWalk04IncIntSoc, replace) eform for(estimate
min95 max95 %8.2e)

However, it's rather long. I'd like to break it over one or maybe two
lines. I tried this:

. ***Stratification models for graph of interaction in "GSSocCapWalk04IncIntSum"
. parmby "xi: mlogit walkcat i.tertsoccoh*age  i.schrpV1  i.urbrur ///
You must specify at least one of the four options:
list(), saving(), norestore, and fast.
If you specify list(), then the output variables specified are listed.
If you specify saving(), then the new data set is output to a disk file.
If you specify norestore and/or fast, then the new data set is created in the me
> mory,
and any existing data set in the memory is destroyed.
For more details, see on-line help for parmby and parmest.

I checked the on-line help, and the archives to see if this has come
up before but I couldn't find any references to it. Is -parmby-
different to other commands when it comes to breaking across multiple

Thanks for your consideration,

Room 2.09, City Centre
School of Geography, Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Rd
E1 4NS
Tel: 020 7882 2748