st: event history analysis

From   Jessica Terman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: event history analysis
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:49:00 -0400

I am looking at the period of time until rule amendments (failure) using survival/event history analysis.  I have multiple rules and my data is structured so that rules that have been amended numerous times are included in dataset and are given individual codes in addition to a code for the rule they belong and a code for the chapter of rules that they belong to.  When I stset the data, I used the rule code as id( ) to tell Stata that some of the subjects (the rules) have multiple observations.  I need to control for the multiple observations per rule in addition to doing a shared frailty model at the Chapter level.  Is this possible?  I have used id(rulecode) for the data in addition to using share(chaptercode).  Thus, I get theta, which tells me about the within chapter correlation.

Does this code still take into account the fact that each rule has multiple observations in the data?  And, is it possible for me to parse out the variation due from observations that belong to the same rule and observations that are in the same chapter?  Thank you.  Jessica