st: Cluster Survey DHS Parameterization

From   Drew Lover <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Cluster Survey DHS Parameterization
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:21:12 +0800

Hello All,

(apologies to those I spam'ed earlier with private emails- FAQ! FAQ!).

I'm attempting to use a 2006 Malaria Indicator cluster survey,
administered by the DHS in Angola; Stata 11.1 on a Mac.

It appears that a quite complex stratification and clustering process
was used, and we are uncertain of the svy:set necessary. We've applied
the sample weight correction (divide by 1e6), and have played with
various other strata besides the "stratum" var in DHS, which other
posts here have suggested is a vestigial data field. We are getting
wildly different ORs with different cluster settings, and so....

The current settings, almost certainly not correct:

pweight: sampwgt (= HV005 "sample weight")/1e6)
         VCE: linearized
 Single unit: missing
    Strata 1: stratum (= HV0022 "sample stratum number", or HV025
"rural/urban" or HV024 "Region")
        SU 1: PSU (= HV021 "Primary sampling unit")
       FPC 1: <zero>

Other fields like HV001 (Cluster number), HV002 (Household number) are
not being utilized (as per DHS suggestion).
The full DHS report (sampling info in Appendix A) at
measuredhs(dot)com/pubs/pdf/MIS2/MIS2(dot)pdf

Any ideas or suggestions?
cheers-
Andrew