Re: st: Cluster Survey DHS Parameterization

Subject   Re: st: Cluster Survey DHS Parameterization
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:50:15 -0400

Andew Lover:

It really helps if you give all references. I assume that the list
discussion you referred to is the thread at
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-07/msg00906.html. I've
little experience with DHS, so take my comments below with that in
mind.

It looks to me like you should define eight strata, as shown in Table
A1 p. 42 of the report you reference. These are presumably formed from
(v023 or v024 -I don't know which ) and v025.  Compare these to the
v022 stratum variable.

To check: Make sure that the frequency counts of PSUs match the totals
in that table. You should also be able to reproduce the means and
proportions in Table B2, page 49 (they are all ratio estimates) Your
standard errors by Taylor Series linearization should be the same if
you use the first-stage fpcs.

Your statement that ORs vary with the cluster specification puzzles
me. This shouldn't happen. If it does, then something  is very wrong.

Also, you seem to be working with the HH file, since you refer to HVxx
variables. ORs would usually be computed on individual data. It's
possible that individual weights differ from HH weights if there was
some correction for individual non-reponse. The MIS2 document says
nothing about that, but you should compare the two weights.

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
[email protected]
18 Cantine's Island