st: FW: stcrreg: when the proportional hazards assumption fails

From   "Zoe Hyde" <zhyde@meddent.uwa.edu.au>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: FW: stcrreg: when the proportional hazards assumption fails
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:45:42 +0800

Hello All,

I am wondering what options are available when the proportional hazards assumption doesn't hold in a competing-risks regression.  The assumption holds for my main independent variable of interest, but not for another (ordinal) variable that I'd like to adjust for; fitting it as a time-varying covariate gives a significant result for 2 of its 3 levels.

I could get around this by stratifying by this variable in a standard Cox model, but this doesn't seem to be supported (yet) by stcrreg.

Are there any alternatives?

Regards,

Zoe.

Western Australian Centre for Health and Ageing (M570)
University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009
Western Australia

Courier address:
Level 6, Ainslie House, Royal Perth Hospital
48 Murray Street, Perth 6000