Re: st: Dfactor - Optimization Terminated

From   Richard Gates <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dfactor - Optimization Terminated
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:08:31 -0500

Degas <[email protected]> is experiencing a non-convergent dynamic
factor model using -dfactor-.

> Iteration 21:  log likelihood =  134.87566  (backed up)
> Iteration 22:  log likelihood =  134.87566  (backed up)
> Iteration 23:  log likelihood =  134.87566  (backed up)
> optimization terminated because of numerical instability: Hessian is not
> negative semidefinite
> r(430);

As with any optimization problem, convergence is never guaranteed.

The example provided by Degas is characteristic of a unidentified problem.
When this occurs the optimization search continues indefinitely, or the Hessian
becomes numerically singular.  An example of the latter is when the estimate of
a variance component goes to zero.  The strategy here is to put an iteration
limit on the search so that it will terminate before the failure occurs,
-iterate(20)-, say.  The coefficient table will probably reveal the problem.
Perhaps the data needs to be scaled.  Is there enough data to identify the
parameters (7 variance components, 2 AR parameters, and 7 regression
coefficients)?

Degas states:

> I have created a loop that will perform _dfactor_ for each ticker in my
> universe of 1000 stocks.  ...

When running 1000 optimization problems using -dfactor- Degas should expect
some non-convergent examples.  Perhaps he can utilize the Stata exception
handler -capture- with -noisily- to trap any optimization failures and record
the failure for further investigation.  For example,

capture noisily dfactor(D.(r ep mom qer fsr bm np)=,noconstant)(f=,ar(1/2)) ///
	if xticker==`x', iterate(50)

if c(rc) {
	local failures `failures' `x'
	continue
}

Note that I have put a limit of 50 iterations in the code snippet above.  The
system maximum is 1500 which could cause problems when executing -dfactor-
1000 times in a loop.

I have speculated a lot on the source of the trouble.  If Degas can provide me
with the data for his non-convergent example, I would be happy to investigate
the source of the failure.

-Richard Gates