Re: st: Beginner questions re saving/storing/exporting graphs in Windows

Subject   Re: st: Beginner questions re saving/storing/exporting graphs in Windows
Date   Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:12:04 -0400

Benhoen2 <[email protected]>:
This is an advanced "beginner" question; many experienced users have
struggled with this. Using TeX and making a PDF is arguably the
easiest way to go; see e.g. -texdoc- on SSC for a primer. You have two
alternatives from Uli and Maarten, using ghostscript
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-10/msg00483.html) or
using -file- to write out html
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-10/msg00485.html), and
there is older advice from Michael Blasnik
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-06/msg00301.html), but I
will offer a 4th alternative: you can write an RTF file with each
graph saved as PNG (but converting the binary file into a hexdump for
inclusion in the RTF file).  Such a file can be opened in MSWord and
many other word processors immediately, and you can add other material
to the RTF including text and formatting tags much as you would in
html or TeX.  I have a little utility program that writes out a single
graph which should get you started if you are interested in pursuing
that option; I will write a help file and submit to SSC.