Re: st: problem with generated regressands and WLS

From   Arka Roy Chaudhuri <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem with generated regressands and WLS
Date   Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:18:09 -0700

I shall repost my earlier mail(using full names for the Greek
characters) as I just learnt that many might not be able to see the
Greek characters.I am extremely sorry for my mistake and the
inconvenience caused.
I wrote:
 Thanks for the response. Sorry for not making my notation clearer- I
had used x for the independent variables in both the first and second
stage.Revising my notation:

 1st stage:
 y = alpha  + beta1x1+ beta2x2 +................. +betanxn+ rho1z1 +  rho2z2 + u

 2nd stage:
  beta= p + deltaq + error

 In the first stage y is the dependent variable and x1...xn, z1,z2 are
 the independent variables, beta1-betan and rho1-rho2 are the parameters.alpha
 and p are the intercepts in the first and  second stage respectively.
 The beta's(beta1.....betan) from the first stage constitute my dependent
 variable in the second stage-since there are n of them I have n
 observations for my dependent variable in the second stage. q is the
 independent variable in the second stage and delta is the parameter
to be estimated. I also
 have n observations  of q.
  Yes I do want to improve efficiency although I am not sure how.
 Should I use the entire variance-covariance matrix of the beta's from the
 first stage as the weighing matrix in the second stage?Or should I
 just use the variance(from the first stage) of the betas as analytic
 weights in the second stage?If I use the second method should not
 non-zero covariances across the observations(beta's) affect my
 results?Also if I am to use the entire variance-covariance matrix as
 the weighing matrix how should I implement it in Stata?Please
 advice.Thanks

Arka