st: RE: panel data, sorting in deciles

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: panel data, sorting in deciles
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:44:11 +0100

The implication is that you already have a variable called -deciles-. -xtile- expects to be given a new variable name. See the help for -deciles- again.

Biljana Dlab

I have panel data (sorted firmID and financial year).

For my regression I need to select firm-years, according to asset size,
that is in top three and bottom three deciles.

For this purpose I followed your instructions (Decile sorts, and
applied the following solution:

. foreach X of varlist dat* {
  2. xtile deciles=`X', n(10)
  3. }
deciles already defined

why did I get "deciles already defined" message in red.

And is that correct code or should I modify it?