st: panel data, sorting in deciles

From   "Biljana Dlab" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: panel data, sorting in deciles
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:25:32 +0200

Dear Statlist,

I have panel data (sorted firmID and financial year).

For my regression I need to select firm-years, according to asset size,
that is in top three and bottom three deciles.

For this purpose I followed your instructions (Decile sorts, and
applied the following solution:

. foreach X of varlist dat* {
  2. xtile deciles=`X', n(10)
  3. }
deciles already defined

why did I get "deciles already defined" message in red.

And is that correct code or should I modify it?

Thank you.