st: RE: RE: joinby command and memory issues

From   "Weichle, Thomas" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: joinby command and memory issues
Date   Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:02:53 -0500

Sorry for the confusion.  I was successful in dropping the other
variables in epo.dta resulting in 2 variables that remain (study_id,
receipt date).  Then, I tried to join epo.dta with hgb.dta (which is in
memory) containing 3 variables (study_id, test date, test result).
After trying the joinby command is where I still received the error
saying that there is no room to add more observations.

--- From Nick Cox ---
This is unclear to me:

1. What does "try to drop" mean? Did -drop- work? If not, what error
messages did you get? Or why say "try"?

2. This description doesn't seem to match your earlier one just a few
minutes ago. Here epo.dta has 2 variables. A few minutes ago it included
other variables you didn't want and wanted to know how to ignore.

I don't think people can easily give good advice if the precise problem
is not clear.

As in an earlier thread today, the limits of Stata are given by -help
limits-. Almost always, the memory available on your machine is what
really bites.

Tom Weichle
Math Statistician
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care (CMC3)
Hines VA Hospital, Bldg 1, C202
708-202-8387 ext. 24261