st: RE: reverse vincenty

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: reverse vincenty
Date   Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:41:25 +0100

H Wright is presumably asking about commands, not functions. There is no inbuilt function in Stata (or Mata) for this calculation. A user-written Mata function should be perfectly doable.

Also, -vincenty- is a user-written command from SSC (Austin Nichols).

But I don't know of any such code.

H Wright

I have been using the vincenty function to calculate
distances between latitudes and longitudes.  I would now like to find
points that are X miles from a given coordinate.

Is anyone aware of a function that would calculate a latitude  of a new point if all other inputs are know?

For example :

vincenty 41.75499 -124.194   ? -124.194, hav(5)

So I  want to know the latitude of the point 5 miles away on the same longitude?

I looked at the code in the vincenty ado file and it is beyond my mathematical ability to calculate this number myself.