st: forvalues, panel data

From   "Biljana Dlab" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: forvalues, panel data
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:58:49 +0200

I have panel data (companies, fiscal years) and need to deflate numbers
to US$ 1980

tsset  gvkey_n  fyear

I used forvalues function and did it like this:

First I created variable just with dots:

gen dI2=.

Then simple forvalues loop

.forvalues fyear = 1980/1990 {
.replace dI2=I2*1 if fyear==1980
.replace dI2=I2*0.967059 if fyear==1981
.replace dI2=I2*0.421106 if fyear==1982
.replace dI2=I2*0.307175 if fyear==1990

So that works, but since I have 10 variables (from I1 to I10) that need
to be deflated, repeating the whole procedure is time consuming... so I
tried by using var i=I1-I10, etc... but always got reply invalid

Any tips?