Re: st: compare effect size between dummys and metrics variables in logistic regression

From   Alan Acock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: compare effect size between dummys and metrics variables in logistic regression
Date   Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:35:14 -0700

In Maarten's response below, one of his approaches, as I understand it, is to standardize the predictors and Maarten says "All of these standardization can in principle be computed for dummy variables." Does he mean to standardize a dummy independent variable? If your dummy variable represents a clear discrete dichotomy (e.g. gender) where there is no underlying continuum then I don't understand a one standard deviation change in the dummy variable. Going up or down one standard deviation on such a variable is not often an interesting substantive topic.

I have this concern because I often see people report standardized beta weights when they have a dummy predictor and compare those beta weights to the beta weights for continuous predictors. They might say a one standard deviation change in race produces a .2 standard deviation change in Y whereas a one standard deviation change in education produces a .3 standard deviation change in Y.

--Alan Acock