st: factormat STATA 10

Subject   st: factormat STATA 10
Date   20 Sep 2010 11:22:51 -0500

This is regarding factormat. I have an 88 by 88 co-variance matrix. In the n(#) I input n(4) as I have a panel of 88 firms and 4 years. I get the error message about too few observations.

Is there anything I can do to get STATA to perform the factor analysis? If not, can someone point out exactly where STATA fails (e.g. is there a matrix that it cannot invert) so that I can figure a way around it. I went to the Stata 10 manual and it did not have any formulas for factor mat.