re: AW: st: PSMATCH with 2 conditions

From   "Caskey, Judson" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   re: AW: st: PSMATCH with 2 conditions
Date   Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:48:14 -0700

I was unable to replicate the problem. Can you try replicating it on one of the public datasets and send an example?

Here is what I tried:

webuse nlswork
logit union collgrad age tenure not_smsa c_city south nev_mar
predict pscore if e(sample), pr
gen pscore2=year*10+pscore
gen pscore3=year*1000+pscore
psmatch2 union, pscore(pscore2) outcome(ln_wage) caliper(0.5)
psmatch2 union, pscore(pscore3) outcome(ln_wage) caliper(0.5)

I get the same results in both of the psmatch2 calls. The issue may be with the bootstrapping procedure rather than with the call to psmatch2, itself.

Hi Judson,

thanks for the great tip & sorry for the late reply but I've been pretty
busy lately.

One thing though:
My industry is only 2 digit, so if I only want to match by industry, I just
multiply industry by 10 and then add the pscore, as follows:
gen pscore2=3-digit-industry*10+pscore
And then psmatch2 as indicated by you in the link.
THE PROBLEM occurred when I used 1000 instead of 10, and then 100000 instead
of 1000; ALL 3 yielded different results (T & Z-scores when bootstrapping

Do you have an explanation for the different results??