Re: st: command or method for logistic quantile regression in Stata

Subject   Re: st: command or method for logistic quantile regression in Stata
Date   Sat, 18 Sep 2010 09:01:53 -0400

Doug Hess <[email protected]>:
The reference concerns fractional outcomes a la the fractional logit; see e.g.
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/logit.html
http://www.stata.com/meeting/12uk/Buis_proportions.pdf
http://cohesion.rice.edu/Conferences/Econometrics/emplibrary/wooldridge.pdf
http://www.stata.com/meeting/snasug08/abstracts.html#wooldridge
and see also -locpr- on SSC for an alternative conditional mean model.

Your second paragraph seems to describe breaking the RHS vars up into
dummies capturing quantiles; this is feasible and quite different from
your initial question.

I differ on one minor point with Maarten: quantile regression can make
sense for binary depvars, if we think each individual i has a
probability p and we want to model how the quantiles of p vary with X,
rather than how the mean of p varies with X. The issue is that you
need variation within i to identify such a model, i.e. you need panel
data. Here, quantile regression would be an alternative to -xtlogit-,
not -logit-, and it turns out that -qreg- with individual
heterogeneity is not so easy.

I was predicting an -xtqreg- forthcoming in Stata back in May 2008,
but I wouldn't hold my breath:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-05/msg00957.html

If you had sufficient panel data, you could easily estimate the
"between" quantile regression by regressing the mean outcome by person
on mean X by person with -qreg-; in such a case, you are back in the
land of fractional outcomes.