RE: st: Spaghetti plot citation

From   "Dupont, William" <william.dupont@vanderbilt.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Spaghetti plot citation
Date   Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:18:39 -0500

Peter

Many thanks.  Rabe-Hesketh and Everitt do give an example of a spaghetti plot in the 4th edition of their text.  Unfortunately, they do not appear to call these plots "spaghetti plots"

Bill

William D. Dupont
Phone: 615-343-4100   Fax: 615-343-4924   URL:
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/WilliamDupont

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Lachenbruch, Peter
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:38 PM
To: 'statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu'
Subject: RE: st: Spaghetti plot citation

I recall that Rabe-Hesketh and Everitt gave examples of this in their book "A Handbook of Statistical Analyses using Stata" in the Chapman and Hall series (1998).  It's been updated   (page 114)
I couldn't reproduce the graphs so I asked and got the following:
sort subj visit
graph dep visit if group==0,c(L)

She reported "the logic is that the c(L) option connects points as long as visit is not decreasing.  If the data are just sorted b visit, all points are connected.  If they are sorted by visit within subject, only points for the same subject are connected.

(this was for version 6, so things may be easier now)

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University