st: box and whisker plot with proportional box size?

From   Jeph Herrin <stata@spandrel.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: box and whisker plot with proportional box size?
Date   Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:54:05 -0400

A colleague has shown me a couple of box and whisker plots where
the width of the box (that is, the dimension that is perpindicular
to the whiskers) is proportionate to the number of observations the
box represents. I think it's a useful modification, and have been
trying to create this myself. However there seems to be no option
in -graph box- to control the width of the box.

Is there a graph type and option combination that I am overlooking
that will allow me to create box and whisker type plots while
controlling the widths of the individual boxes?

thanks,
Jeph