Re: st: Re: Fortran

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Fortran
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:55:40 -0400

On 8/31/2010 7:41 AM, Christopher Baum wrote:
Absolutely correct. If you told my friends in the physics department
that Fortran was dead, they would suggest you should be drug tested.

Ouch! OK, my report of FORTRAN's death was greatly exaggerated. (And dating myself by talking about what I did 30 years ago was probably not a wise move for somebody hunting for a job.)

This doesn't change my (and Tony's) point that (to restate) spending a lot of time and effort to learn a new language like FORTRAN would be a mistake unless (a) you are in a specialized field where you will need to use it with some frequency, or (b) there is no reasonable alternative -- where using a different method, using a different program, or hiring somebody experienced in FORTRAN to do the work are all plausible alternatives.

-ml