st: Re: fortran

From   Christopher Baum <kit.baum@bc.edu>
Subject   st: Re: fortran
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:46:00 -0400

<>
On Aug 31, 2010, at 2:33 AM, Richard wrote:

> It might also be related to the hardware available.  I don't know if
> Stata comes in a supercomputer version, but fortran does.

Or, more particularly, Fortran readily supports multiprocessing over a network of linked compute servers (which is what most supercomputers look like these days) whereas Stata/MP is limited to using the cores available in one single compute server. Most applications on our university's compute cluster make use of many more cores than are present in a single compute server (which is all that Stata/MP can access).

Kit