Re: st: How to read a particular value in a variables then save it to macro?

From   David Elliott <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to read a particular value in a variables then save it to macro?
Date   Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:45:38 -0300

I'm not sure what was behind your intent when you chose an eMail
address of "[email protected]" and a name of STATALIST STATALIST.
 While no-one else has taken you to task, please understand that
having people open your posts because they look like they are official
communication from Statalist is a bit cheesy and if that was your
intent, it is an unbecoming subterfuge.

If this was in no way your intention, then please excuse my tone.
Nonetheless, why not use your own name like nearly everyone else does?

DC Elliott

On 28 August 2010 09:29, STATALIST STATALIST <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to read and save a particular
> value in a dta file to macro. I mean one particular value of a
> variable rather than the "variable itself".
> I have a dataset of 2 columns and ten rows. One column has the
> column_name of X which has a value of 1 to 10. The first row is 1, the
> second is 2,.....
> And I have another column which has a column_name of STR which is made
> up of string, the first row is "a", the second is "b",.....
>
> Can I pinpoint one particular cell in this dataset and save the
> contents of this particular cell to a macro?
> eg I want to ask STATA to give me the value of STR  when X=2, the
> value should be "b".
>
> local temp = STR if X==2 (of course, it does not work and that's why I
> ask for help.)
>
> Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day.
> Allen
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

David Elliott

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.
Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.
 -- Robert A. Heinlein (American science-fiction Writer, 1907-1988)