st: RE: repeated time values problem -svar

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   st: RE: repeated time values problem -svar
Date   Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:34:39 +0100

I don't see any reason to suppose that -svar- or -var- supports panel data. Either command is expecting, in effect, a single panel or single time series. And Stata's not seeing that, hence the complaint.

Typically time series commands don't support panels unless it's obvious that they do.

Sinan Hastorun

I am trying to run svar on panel data, but I keep getting the r451 error once I run var or svar after setting the data tsset. I have 3 variables and the data is strongly balanced, except for missing year for a lag. As a remedy, I tried duplicates list id year, but I get Duplicates in terms of id year (0 observations are duplicates) message, so there doesn't seem to be a duplicates problem. I would appreciate any thoughts on what exactly the problem I am facing may be and how I may resolve it. Thank you. Sinan