st: Re: psmatch2 question

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: psmatch2 question
Date   Wed, 25 Aug 2010 02:57:28 +0900

anna bargagliotti wrote:

I am a bit confused on how to read  the output for the psmatch2 command.  I run
the following:

psmatch2   bootcamp2008 sex race classlevel_2008 engineering_2008
retorgradstem_2009, outcome(ucumgpa_2009) cal(.01)

[output excerpted]

My question is related to the T-stats reported (ie -.78 and .07).  I am  unsure
how to interpret these.  What are these exactly?  I was under the  impression
that the T-stat for ATT (.07) is the statistic to use in  determining whether
the treatment had an effect on ucumgpa_2009,  however, the output does not give
a significance level.  To check, I  tried to recreate this T-stat by computing
it by brute force but I could  not do so.

I tried the following:
1.  reduced the sample to only those students who were in the treatment  and
their matches
2. created repeated samples for students who were matches more than one  time
3. Performed the ttest comparing the ucumgpa_2009 of treatment vs.  control
(indicated by the bootcamp2008 variable)

The tvalue I get is no where near the T-stat given by psmatch2.   Have I
misunderstood the output given by psmatch2?  How do I tell  whether the
bootcamp2008 had a significant effect on ucumgpa_2009?

You can reconstruct the reported t statistic for ATT from the returned scalars
r(att) and r(seatt).  I'm guessing, but I believe that the command's authors
have declined computing the associated p-value for the same reason that they
have the output warn, "Note: S.E. for ATT does not take into account that the
propensity score is estimated."  That is, any computed p-value would be an
overstatement.  The help file for -psmatch2- suggests bootstrapping as an
alternative approach (with a caveat about its validity) to computing the
t statistic.

Joseph Coveney