st: AW: Categorising dates

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: Categorising dates
Date   Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:16:06 +0200

//generate data
set obs 50
gen mydates=date("23 Sep 09", "DM20Y")+_n-26
format mydates %tdMon_dd,_CCYY

//Get day of week
tostring mydates, gen(mydays) format(%td_Dayname) force

//Get month
tostring mydates, gen(mymonth) format(%tdMonth) force

//see result
l, noo

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von sara khan
Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. August 2010 16:02
Betreff: st: Categorising dates

Dear Statalisters

I have a list of daily dates inthe format, for example, 23 Sep 09, and
need to create two variables. One is to categorise the days into
weekly data (so week commencing on a Monday). The second is to create
a variable cataegorsing the daily data into monthly data.

I would be grateful for advice on how to do this.

Many thanks.