st: AW: loop over macros

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: loop over macros
Date   Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:01:49 +0200

Your -macro-s are not variables, are they? Re loops, see NJC`s

ma drop _all
sysuse auto, clear
local myvars1 price weight
local myvars2 length turn trunk
local model_1 "`myvars1'"
local model_2 "`myvars1' `myvars2'"

foreach macro in model_1 model_2{
logit foreign ``macro''
est save my`macro', replace

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Jörg
Gesendet: Montag, 23. August 2010 14:48
An: ''
Betreff: st: loop over macros

i want to loop over local macros, not over the items in the locals. I
want to estimate 3 multinominal logit models. One with the variables in
local macro "model_1" as independent variables in the model, one with
the  variables in local macro "model_2" .....  and so on.  Only three

local set1_mig "migdummy1 migdummy2"
local set2_sex "fr49 fr48"
local set3_educ " schulart_e1 schulart_e2"

local model_1 "`set1_mig'"
local model_2 "`model_1' `set2_sex'"
local model_3 "`model_2' `set3_educ'"

foreach macro of varlist "`model_1'" "`model_2'" "`model_3'" {
mlogit  munomi7 `macro'
estimates save mlogit`macro'
I cant find the right syntax for the foreach command.
Thanks in advance