RE: st: RE: Random start to random number sequence

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Random start to random number sequence
Date   Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:29:42 -0700

In using Bill's routine that gets the date and time, I found that it added 000 to the end and gave me numbers >2^31-1 which Stata didn't like.  I made a simple change to get
/* set seed for simulations */
local seed = tc(`c(current_date)' `c(current_time)')/1000
set seed `seed'
display "seed is " c(seed)

and all was well.  Perhaps I goofed in the local command (without the /1000)

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University