st: tabout & Stata variable labels

From   Andrea Bennett <mac.stata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: tabout & Stata variable labels
Date   Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:37:43 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

Is it really the case that -tabout- does not take into account the variable labels when generating a LaTeX table? I use the following command: -tabout sex language using example.tex, c(mean age mean dispincome mean grademath) replace style(tex) bt font(bold) sum ptotal(single) topstr(15cm) topf(top.tex) botf(bot.tex) botstr(Just a test.)-. Yet, although -tabout- uses "Female" & "Male" as well as "English speaking" & "Other language" for the vertical variables (it uses the value labels), it sticks to the variable names for the horizontal output. I've browsed the web and checked the handout but really could not find any option to make -tabout- show my variable labels. I simply would like to automatically show "Disposable income" instead of "dispincome". Does there exist a solution to my problem (without either renaming all the variables or editing my TEX-file afterwards)?

Many thanks for your help!

Andrea