st: RE: exponential smoothing

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: exponential smoothing
Date   Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:58:17 +0100

Predicting the logarithm of sales and back-transforming is one possibility. Another is that your sales are fluctuating too erratically to be predictable by this method.

Schöler, Lisa

I want to do exponential smoothing for sales with Stata. I used the command

.tssmooth dexponential sales = ussalesdols000, forecast(1)

Sometimes I get negative out of sample forecasts which can't be true for sales. Is there a way to include a constraint so the out of sample forecasts will not get negative?