st: event study with Fama/French factors

From   Schöler, Lisa <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: event study with Fama/French factors
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:44:59 +0000

Dear Statalist,

I want to run an event study with stata using the Fama/French three factor model to predict the expected return. I am not sure if the following comands are correct for the expected return:

set more off /* this command just keeps stata from pausing after each screen of output */
gen predicted_return=.
egen id=group(group_id)
 /* for multiple event dates, use: egen id = group(group_id) */
forvalues i=1(1)219 { /*note: replace N with the highest value of id */
 l id group_id if id==`i' & dif==0
 reg ret market_return_minus_risk_free smb hml if id==`i' & estimation_window==1
 predict p if id==`i'
 replace predicted_return = p if id==`i' & event_window==1
 drop p

Can anybody tell me if this is correct or if missed something?