Re: st: Nominal or ordinal?

From   Clive Nicholas <>
Subject   Re: st: Nominal or ordinal?
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2010 01:38:50 +0100

Chelsea B Polis wrote:

> I am working with a dependent variable that has the following four potential responses: (1) Not Likely, (2) Slightly Likely, (3) Quite Likely, (4) Extremely Likely.
> A colleague thinks this is an ordinal variable which should be analyzed using ordered
> logit regression.  My sense was that this is a nominal variable, and should be analyzed > using multinomial regression - since we cannot know if the levels are
> equally spaced in people's minds.

In addition to the excellent responses given, with which I concur, you
could treat the variable as multinomial, regress it onto your
independent variables by fitting -mlogit-, and then test the IIA
assumption with the user-written -mlogtest- (downloadable via STB:
-net stb 58 sg155-). If the IIA is violated, then you might consider
combining a couple of the indicators of your response variable before
running it through -ologit- or -oprobit-. Then again, you might think
of all this as rather too exotic.

Clive Nicholas

<>. Please respond to contributions I make in
a list thread here. Thanks!]

methodology. I prefer to call it style." -- Freeman J. Dyson.