st: RE: RE: Replace missing values by 0

From   "David Radwin" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Replace missing values by 0
Date   Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:29:20 -0700 (PDT)

Sometimes data, especially count data, are stored in a spreadsheet where a
blank cell indicates a zero value. For example, if the data are
hand-entered and there are a lot of zero values, it is more efficient not
to enter a zero, and many spreadsheet functions treat the blank cell as a
zero value.

However, if you paste or -insheet- these data into Stata, the blank cells
are encoded as missing values. In this case it is necessary to convert the
missing values to zeroes.

David Radwin
Research Associate
MPR Associates, Inc.