st: RE: RE: RE: Replace missing values by 0

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Replace missing values by 0
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:24:07 -0700

But the original question was about missing values being represented as 0.
Use of a blank cell for 0 allows the confusion of missing and true 0.  At any rate, if you want to code missing as 0 that's a problem to my mind.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Radwin
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 3:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: Replace missing values by 0

Tony,

Sometimes data, especially count data, are stored in a spreadsheet where a
blank cell indicates a zero value. For example, if the data are
hand-entered and there are a lot of zero values, it is more efficient not
to enter a zero, and many spreadsheet functions treat the blank cell as a
zero value.

However, if you paste or -insheet- these data into Stata, the blank cells
are encoded as missing values. In this case it is necessary to convert the
missing values to zeroes.

David

--
David Radwin