Re: st: graph export for journal

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph export for journal
Date   Sun, 8 Aug 2010 10:39:47 -0500

On Aug 7, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Ricardo Ovaldia wrote:
I have several Stata Kaplan-Meir curves (st graph) in an article accepted for publication. The wanted the graphs in tiff format which I provide using -graph export-. However, they do not like how they looks. They now want tiff files with a minimal resolution of 300 dpi and CMYK rather than RGB. Can I do this in Stata or am I going to remake the graphs in another software?

I'm guessing that you're talking to someone in the front office rather than in the graphics department. Requesting an image in CMYK seems reasonable, since the conversion from RGB to CMYK is not perfect (e.g., some of the colors that can be represented in RGB cannot be represented in CMYK, and you will sometimes notice a color shift after conversion). However, the graphics department should be perfectly happy with an Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) file, since they can then use this at whatever resolution they want. So, if I were you, I'd ask the person you're communicating with to check with the graphics department if EPS figures with CMYK would be acceptable. If so, you can generate them in Stata using -graph export- with the -cmyk(on)- option.

If they continue to insist on TIFF format with the CMYK color space, then I don't believe you can generate these directly with Stata (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). You can modify the resolution of a TIFF image when exporting with -graph export- by using the -width()- and -height()- options, but you can't specify the CMYK color space. Thus, I'd suggest exporting as EPS with CMYK, and then using some other application to convert this to a 300 dpi (or higher) TIFF image (while retaining the CMYK colors). I'm not a graphics person so I don't own Photoshop, but I'd guess that it can handle this if you have access to it. GIMP, unfortunately, doesn't support working with CMYK images, though there is a plugin called Separate which adds this functionality (I've never used it). I generally use the Python Imaging Library (PIL) for such tasks, which can be easily installed for those using Linux/OS X (on which Python comes pre- installed) or Windows users who install Python. PIL provides a rich set of tools for generating and manipulating images, and since it is in the form of a Python library, these functions can be easily scripted or accessed from other applications.

If you don't have access to Photoshop and aren't already familiar with PIL and/or Python, it would probably be easier just to use an image conversion program, many of which are freely available on the web. For example, here are a few:

    http://www.imagemagick.org/ (cross platform)
    http://www.lemkesoft.com/ (GraphicConverter, OS X only)
    http://www.irfanview.com/ (Windows only; I've never used it)

-- Phil