st: Using # sign with factor variables to create interactions

From   "Weichle, Thomas" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Using # sign with factor variables to create interactions
Date   Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:11:31 -0500

Hi Statalisters,
I'm using the new # sign notation with factor variables to create
interactions.  I would like to do post model linear combinations with
the lincom command.  Since the level indicator variables are not created
in the dataset (or memory I believe), how do I do linear combinations
after running a model that incorporated an interaction using the # sign
notation (ex. smoker#agegrp)?  I've discovered that I could just change
the base level in order to see different linear combinations but this
requires running new models for each combination I want.  Is this the
best way to do it with the new notation?

Tom Weichle
Math Statistician
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care (CMC3)
Hines VA Hospital, Bldg 1, C202
708-202-8387 ext. 24261