st: set mem problem

From   Kiss Sándor Csanád <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: set mem problem
Date   Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:26:17 +0000

Hello Everyone!
My General Problem is:
I keep bumping into the following error message with set mem:
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
I use Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (32-bit).
I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only can give stata about 700m.
I heard rumours that under 32bit, this problem is unsolvable. Is it?
My Specific Problem is:
I have to read in a .sav file of 924megabyte
stattransfer converts it to a 1900megabyte .dta which is way too big
stattransfer also can convert it to an equally sized .cvs which I could read
in with insheet
but i cant, because I am only able to allocate 700 megabytes with set mem
Is my only solution file splitting?
Thnx in advance: Csanad