Re: st: set mem problem

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: set mem problem
Date   Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:24:10 +0000

010/8/5 Kiss Sándor Csanád <[email protected]>:
> Hello Everyone!
> My General Problem is:
> I keep bumping into the following error message with set mem:
> op. sys. refuses to provide memory
> r(909);
> I use Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (32-bit).
> I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only can give stata about 700m.
> I heard rumours that under 32bit, this problem is unsolvable. Is it?
> My Specific Problem is:
> I have to read in a .sav file of 924megabyte
> stattransfer converts it to a 1900megabyte .dta which is way too big
> stattransfer also can convert it to an equally sized .cvs which I could read
> in with insheet
> but i cant, because I am only able to allocate 700 megabytes with set mem
> Is my only solution file splitting?

The solution is to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system.

All explained in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html

Neil

--
"One should as a rule, respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/