st: error converting shape file to dataset

From   Amer Hasan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: error converting shape file to dataset
Date   Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:48:53 -0400

Dear statalist:

Please forgive any missteps on my part as this is my first post.

I am using Stata SE 10.1 to convert a shape file to a stata dataset. I
have used this command multiple times in the past with very few
problems. I am currently trying two procedures to draw the map I am
interested in:

Procedure 1. I have a shapefile of the world showing level 1
administrative regions and need to draw a map of only south america. I
can convert this shapefile without problems and from the resulting
stata dataset, I can limit myself to the relevant countries. However,
the resulting map takes ages to draw - (even with a machine running
stata 11 - quad core).

Procedure 2. As a result of how slow procedure 1 was, I asked someone
with access to ArcGIS to give me a shapefile only of South America -
again the key thing being the shape file showed the sub-regions of
these countries. When I try and convert this shapefile I receive the
following error:

Stata/SE 10.1 for Windows
Born 10 Jun 2010

. shp2dta using "C:\Users\wb292605\Desktop\Files\Maps
LAC\gadmin_sam\gadmin_sam.shp", replace data(sam-data) coor(sam-coor)
genid(id) genc(center)

             st_addvar():  3300  argument out of range
              read_dbf():     -  function returned error
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error

r(3300);

Despite the error corresponding data and coordinates datasets do get
produced - but they do not appear complete.

Which leads me to my two questions:

1. Can someone guide me if they have had similar issues when working
with shapefiles. I fear this may be less of a Stata issue and more of
an ArcGIS issue but hopefully someone can set me straight.

2. If I am forced to go with the first procedure is there a way to
make the map drawing faster?

many thanks
amer