Re: st: Spss vs Stata

From   SCHOUMAKER Bruno <bruno.schoumaker@uclouvain.be>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Spss vs Stata
Date   Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:27:29 +0200

if I am wrong) only one column variable (but multiple row variables).
Bruno

Le 2/08/2010 16:43, Neil Shephard a écrit :
n Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Kaulisch, Marc
<kaulisch@forschungsinfo.de>  wrote:
I am more concerned about the flexibility to generate pivot tables than about pretty tables.
I've no idea what a "pivot table" is, but if the structure below....

My previous example in http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-11/msg00238.html was:
Table
Rowvar  colvar1 colvar2
                1       2       1       2       3
                n C%    n C%    n C%    n C%    n C%
1
2
3
Total

In order to avoid weeks of Stata programming etc. we decided to generate those tables in SPSS.

You could likely achieve it using Ian Watson's -tabout- (available on
SSC) or likely achieve it from first principles using
-contract-/-collapse- in conjunction with some -append-/-merge- and a
small amount of programming.

Although of course I've assumed that you know how to do this sort of
programming, and if not it may well take "weeks", but next time it
will take you far less, and eventually it will become second nature if
you use Stata regularly.

Neil

--
Bruno SCHOUMAKER

Centre de recherche en démographie et sociétés
Université catholique de Louvain
1-17 PLace Montesquieu
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM